The Power Barn is a multipurpose agricultural barn built on a smallholding in Noordhoek, Cape Town. Completed in early 2017, the barn caters for various farm-related activities including olive pressing; fynbos propagation; preparing of honey (from the farm’s three bee hives) and preserves.
Ecolution Consulting provided sustainability best practice consulting and site verification/guidance for the barn, as well as an audit and sustainability improvement suggestions for the existing home onsite.
- 7.3 kW Solar PV installation
- LED lighting
- Flexible layout due to steel framework
- Reclaimed timber
- Rainwater storage
- Black/greywater recycling via biodigester for energy and irrigation water
- Well insulated
- Double glazing
- No paint and minimal finishes/fixtures and fittings
- Skylights and natural light maximisation
- Natural ventilation
- Local vegetation landscaping and propagation on site
- Emphasis on manual solutions and using local labour and materials