EDGE (Excellence in Design for Greater Efficiencies) is a tool aimed at increasing energy, water and materials efficiency in most building types including homes, hospitality, retail, offices, hospitals and education.
EDGE is a measurable way for residential developers to optimise the performance of their building design. The certification requires achieving a minimum saving of 20% in the three categories: operational energy, water usage and reduction in embodied energy.
EDGE Certification Results in Residential Developments and Homes that:
Are at least 20% more energy efficient and use at least 20% less water
Have at least 20% less embodied energy (energy associated with materials use)
Have sustainability embedded into construction processes
Lead to long-term environmental savings
Sell better, are affordable and lead to long-term economic savings
Who benefits from EDGE Certification?
- Green homes perform better, sell as much as four times faster and at a higher price, whilst protecting the environment.
- A resource-conscious building performs well, has fewer utility costs and produces greater long-term savings.
- EDGE is simple & inexpensive, leading to optimised buildings which are more investment-worthy and marketable.
- The EDGE software empowers architects to determine the most cost-effective options for a building’s efficient design.
- EDGE provides a holistic solution, creating a single snapshot of resource efficient performance.
Frequently asked questions
EDGE Project Admin (Ideally an EDGE Expert)
- Owns and manages the certification process.
- Responsible for ensuring the project meets EDGE standard.
- Responsible for registering the project.
- Responsible for supplying all relevant “marked up” information.
- Responsible for auditing information provided by the EDGE Admin.
- Responsible for undertaking site audits and testings
- Responsible for the recommendation of certification (if project deemed compliant).
There are two additional roles of certifier admin and reviewer. These roles are selected by the certifier to review or provide quality control.
Why Choose Ecolution Consulting to guide or audit your EDGE Certification?
Our track record is proven! As EDGE is a relatively new certification scheme by the International Finance Corporation, there aren’t many companies that can claim experience in both residential and commercial projects. Ecolution Consulting was responsible for guiding the first EDGE residential and first EDGE commercial project to receive final certification in South Africa, and have since completed a dozen more. We are authorised to assist in the roles of both Expert and Auditor on behalf of clients across Africa for certification by the GBCSA, GBCI, or thinkstep-SGS. We also have a proven track record in reducing the overall cost of certification and advising on project-appropriate saving measures, thereby optimising change of success, driving down costs and increasing project margins.