Hotel Verde Zanzibar
Lead Sustainability Consultants | Commissioning | Green Star SA | Carbon Neutral Experience
The 106-roomed, five-star hotel was commissioned to Verde Hotels by owner and Zanzibari-born businessman Mr Said Salim Awadh Bakhresa. The hotel is set to lead the way in the green economy sector in East Africa by being a flagship for green technology whilst further developing sustainable tourism as Zanzibar’s greenest hotel.
Verde Hotels and Ecolution Consulting were able to enter the building phase of Hotel Verde Zanzibar at a timeous point in order to implement the numerous sustainable strategies required to ensure the hotel would be built and operated as sustainably as possible.
Client Name: Verde Hotels
Certification: 5 Star Green Star Africa, New Build, Custom Hotel
Project Location: Zanzibar
- Carbon neutral stay and conferencing experience
- Targetting a 5 Star Green Star SA as-built certification
- Renewable nergy generation
- 100% LED lighting and occupancy sensors
- Grey and black water recycling systems
- Waste management
- Demand-controlled ventilation
- Regenerative drive elevators
- Intelligent heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) system which is highly efficient in heat recovery for the purpose of hot water generation.
- Sustainability technology guidance and assistance with implementation
- Management of the energy modelling process
- The building commissioning process
- Green Star submission guidance and management
- Assistance with quantifying the hotel’s carbon footprint to ensure a carbon-neutral stay and conferencing is offered to guests
- Sustainable operations guidance