In 2016, the Vineyard Hotel expanded to offer three apartment-style suites, aimed at long-stay guests, located on a separate property adjacent to the main hotel building. 4 Bucksburn has now achieved a 5 Star Green Star SA As-Built rating, under the Multi-Unit Residential certification tool.
As long-standing sustainability consultants of the Vineyard Hotel, Ecolution Consulting was tasked with managing the Green Star Certification process.
Some of the sustainability features of the project include:
- Over 70% waste diversion during construction
- Recycled content in building material
- Borehole water used for construction and irrigation
- FSC certified timber flooring
- South African first Solarus Photovoltaic Thermal (PVT) system proving both electricity and hot water for the building.
- 100% Efficient LED lighting
- Highly efficient VRF HVAC
- Occupancy sensors for lighting and HVAC control
- Energy efficient appliances
- Grey water harvesting, reuse and non-potable toilet flushing
- Water efficient fittings, appliances and irrigation
- Advanced energy and water metering available for guests to view
- On-site waste separation