Our net zero project, Two Dam Sustainable, was announced winner of the Innovative Project of the Year Award at the 13th annual Southern African Energy Efficiency Confederation (SAEE) Conference that took place from the 13th to the 14th of November 2018.
The Awards program recognises outstanding accomplishments of both individuals and companies in the industry, shining light on the important work being done in energy in South Africa. The 2018 awards was further extended this year to reflect the expanding nature of the energy professional landscape in South Africa.
Two Dam Sustainable, an off-grid, responsibly operated rainbow trout farm near Montagu, Western Cape, was one of the first four pilot projects in South Africa to have been certified Net Zero Carbon under the Green Building Council of South Africa’s (GBCSA) Green Star SA Net Zero Carbon certification in October 2017, and has since also received the Net Zero Innovative Project Award at the GBCSA Green Building Convention that took place in October 2018.
Some of the projects’ energy features include:
- A PV system that feeds consumption directly and charges batteries for night time (PV 31.15kWp)
- Naturally ventilated buildings
- Energy efficient appliances that are either Energy Star Rated or A+
- 100% LED lighting
- Renewable energy from the PV system and Hydro Electric is carbon neutral
- Total non-renewable energy produced: 5572.1 kWh = 35.36 GJ LPG per annum
- Total Carbon Offset: 8,478.75 kg CO2-e (figure accounts for wastage and efficiency losses)
We are proud to have worked as the lead sustainability consultant and commissioning authority on this project, and are excited to see what the future holds for more net zero certified projects!
If you would like more information on the net zero certification, or have further questions, feel free to send us an email on and we’d be happy to assist.”